Malaysia gives go ahead for new MH370 search: Deal sealed with US firm

Malaysia gives go ahead for new MH370 search: Deal sealed with US firm

January 5, 2018 0 By User

 

Malaysia has agreed to allow a US exploration firm to resume the hunt for flight MH370, the transport minister said Friday, a year after the search was suspended.

News of the decision was also sent to relatives of those on board the doomed jet.

The message, seen by AFP, said that the “MH370 Response Team wishes to note that the Government of Malaysia has engaged Ocean Infinity to undertake further search operation for MH370.″

The news came after the company, Ocean Infinity, said this week it had already dispatched a research vessel towards the expected search zone as it believed a deal would be finalised imminently, AFP reported on Friday.

The Malaysia Airlines jet disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people and no sign of the plane was found in a 120,000 square kilometre search zone selected by satellite analysis of the jet’s likely trajectory.

The Australian-led sea search, the largest in aviation history, was suspended in January last year.

Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai told AFP that an agreement had now been made with the US firm, adding the deal was on a “no find, no fee” basis.

“It is our duty to look for answers and the plane, and as of today the government has decided to go ahead with the search,” he said.